TMAC Student Managed Portfolio
The Student Managed Portfolio of Northern Illinois University was established as a means for Finance students who are interested in the area of investments and portfolio management to gain real world experience.
- Students act as fiduciaries and build a portfolio of equity investments using real money
- A Competitive entry class that has up to 12 student analysts each semester.
- Analysts meet weekly to discuss current events, portfolio performance and risk, macroeconomic indicators, industry analysis, and company benchmarking data. Stock buy/sell recommendations are made after the consideration of these factors, as well as relative valuation techniques, discounted cash flow, technical analysis, and ESG concerns.
No prior investing experience is required, however;
- Must successfully complete FINA 330, 340, and 350 the semester prior to enrollment in this course
- Fill out an Application Form with an attached essay by the due date.
- Must be in academic good standing
This course may be repeated twice by enrolling in FINA 445 and then FINA 446.
Contributors to Portfolio
- Treasury Management Association of Chicago (TMAC) generously provided $20,000 to initiate the fund and program.
- As of Spring 2016 the TMAC SMP currently manages $375,000 on behalf of the NIU Foundation