The advising office for lower division majors is Undergraduate Studies in Business. However, once in the upper division (300/400 level) OM&IS program, students receive advisement through the department.
Associate Director and Program Advisor
Barsema Hall 328A
Students should meet with their advisor at least once a semester in order to review the degree plan, course schedule, and explore career choices and internship opportunities. In addition, your advisor will help the search for available internships. learn more...
For students pursuing a graduate degree or certification, Mr. Devereaux can meet either at the DeKalb or Naperville campus locations. Hours are generally 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. but alternate plans can be arranged.
OM&IS Advising Checklist
- Schedule an appointment with your advisor each semester. Get an appointment early in the semester. Waiting until the schedule is available on MyNIU can cause delay in getting a timely appointment.
- Declare your major as early in the semester as possible. Changing your major at the end of a semester, after registration has begun, may prevent you from graduating on time. Declared majors have first priority in course registration.
- Review your Degree Progress Report (DPR) each semester through MyNIU. You are responsible for your graduation requirements. The DPR is prepared by the Office of Registration and Records (R&R), the office which will do a final check on your academic requirements for graduation.
- Check financial aid status each semester, if appropriate.
- Make sure encumbrances prior to registration are removed. You will not be able to register unless they are taken care of.
- Keep any and all advising paperwork (including DPR and a current transcript) so you have a complete record of your academic history.
- Be sure that your address is correct with R&R. If an advisor needs to contact you for any reason and the correct information isn't in the computer, it could be detrimental to your academic career.