The NIU College of Business is among an elite 4% of business schools worldwide to hold AACSB accreditation at all levels. AACSB accreditation is the most respected and highest credential of excellence for business and accounting schools around the world. NIU Business and its Department of Accountancy have achieved continuous AACSB accreditation since 1969 and 1983, respectively.
Best Undergrad Business School
- Among Nation’s Top 24% - US News Best Business Schools (2016 Ranking). The NIU College of Business undergraduate program is ranked in the top quarter of best business schools out of nearly 550 eligible AACSB accredited business programs (2016 US News & World Report ranking). This ranking of best business schools is based entirely on AACSB Deans evaluation of program quality. This year, the ranking given to NIU Business by business Deans across the country also makes NIU Business the top-ranked public business program in Illinois outside of the U of I system. NIU Business has been ranked favorably in US News for more than two decades, ever since the beginning of their ranking.
- Best Return on Investment in Illinois and Among Best in Nation - Businessweek (2013). The NIU College of Business undergraduate program generates the best return-on-investment when compared with all the other business schools in the state of Illinois. According to the Bloomberg Businessweek's "Top Undergraduate B-Schools for ROI" list, NIU ranks at No. 45 nationally with a return-on-investment of $4.74 in salary earned per annual tuition dollar spent.
- Top 3 for 4 Consecutive Years. Building on a strong trend, NIU's College of Business ranks 3rd nationally for integrating ethics in the curriculum (Businessweek 2013 rankings). Since the start of its specialty rankings in 2010, Businessweek has ranked the college in the top 3 nationally for 4 consecutive years in the area of ethics education: 3rd in 2013, 2nd in 2012, 3rd in 2011, and 2nd in 2010. read article >
- Among Nation's Elite for 8 Consecutive Years - Businessweek (2014). NIU's College of Business continues to be regarded as among the nation's best undergraduate business programs. In Businessweek's 2014 listing, the college is ranked 109th nationally out of 672 eligible AACSB accredited schools. NIU's College of Business has ranked among the nation's elite since the inception of the Businessweek ranking in 2006.
Best MBA Program
- Among Nation's Elite for 3 Consecutive Years. NIU's Part-Time MBA program continues to be ranked among the best programs in the annual U.S. News & World Report survey. In its 2016 listing of Best Business Schools (released in early 2015), U.S. News ranks NIU's Part-Time MBA 122nd nationally, out of the 727 eligible AACSB-accredited schools. This represents a three-year trend of NIU's Part-Time MBA to make the list. read article >
Best Academic Programs
NIU’s Master of Accounting Science ranks 9th nationally – Accounting Degree Review (2016).
Accounting Degree Review listed the college’s accountancy graduate program 9th best in the country for 2016. The publication highlighted NIU’s Master of Accounting Science program, which incorporates accounting knowledge with leadership and professional skills. Students with an undergraduate accounting degree can complete NIU’s MAS (leadership) program in one year.
- Accountancy ranks among Top 25 Best Nationally - Public Accounting Report.
NIU's undergraduate and graduate accountancy programs ranked among the Top 25 best in the nation according to the 2015 Annual Professors Survey conducted by Public Accounting Report (PAR). PAR's ranking places NIU’s undergraduate accounting program 19th best nationally and NIU’s master level accounting program 25th best nationally. Continuing a strong trend for more than two decades, NIU's accountancy program has ranked continuously among the very best programs in the country.
- Professional Sales continually ranks among the best in the world - Sales Education Foundation. The Professional Sales program in NIU's Department of Marketing continues to be ranked among the "Top University Sales Programs" (2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011).
- SAP TERP10 Exam Performance
(2015) The NIU Department of OM&IS offered its first-ever SAP TERP10 Certification Workshop in summer 2015. This 10-day workshop enables students to see how a modern enterprise system functions and prepares them to pass the exam required to become a SAP Certified Business Associate. At the close of the workshop, 33 students sat for the SAP TERP10 exam and achieved a 70% pass rate, which exceeds the national average. The national pass rate currently stands at 69% (2014) and is based on the performance of students who took the exam through the SAP University Alliances program. Congratulations to the NIU students for their stellar performance on the SAP exam and to NIU’s Department of OM&IS for delivering such a strong and effective launch of their SAP TERP10 Certification Workshop.
- NIU Business - a member of the SAP University Alliances Community Since 2011
SAP is the dominant player in the Enterprise Resource Planning software market. Joining the SAP University Alliance Community permits NIU business faculty to use SAP software and have access to curricular materials that will allow them to introduce NIU business students to ERP systems. For this project, the college works with an advisory committee that includes business community partners from Vistex, Siemens Industry, Willis Computing, Allstate, Nalco, Alta Via, and Eby-Brown.
- KPMG funds first endowed professorship at the university within the NIU College of Business (September 2009)
The excellence of the Northern Illinois University College of Business and its Department of Accountancy has been recognized with the creation of the university's first-ever endowed professorship: the KPMG Endowed Professorship in Accountancy. Endowed professorships are the most prestigious faculty honor and support into perpetuity the outstanding excellence of specific university programs.
- Northern Illinois University is:
- a full member of the Universities Research Association (URA), an elite group of top public and private research universities that includes Harvard, MIT, Princeton, and Yale.
- among only four percent of all U.S. colleges and universities listed in The Carnegie Foundation'smost productive category: "doctoral/research university-extensive."
- a member of the nation's most prestigious public higher education association: the National Association of State Universities and Land Grant Colleges.
- the home of a new scientific center dedicated to research with Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory, one of the world's premier high-energy physics research laboratories.